Sunday 23 October 2011

Eleven by Mark Watson


I first saw Mark Watson doing a standup comedy gig on Michael McIntyre’s ‘Comedy Road Show’. I thought he was delightfully quirky. On first watching him, it looked like he had come out on stage with no material and was adlibbing the whole time. I only learned later, after watching a few of his different gigs on YouTube that this was merely his style. I was an instant fan; and as an avid book reader I was delighted to hear that he was also an author. I immediately got my hands on a copy of Eleven.
It is basically about a seemingly insignificant incident that sets off a domino effect of events in eleven individuals’ lives. It is a thought that has occurred to me many times before, how all our lives are linked in some way, and how someone’s decisions can in some way have an effect on your day without you realizing. It is a simple idea which is excellently executed with a surprising yet fitting ending.
The story follows Ireland Xavier, and it is his action, or lack thereof, that starts the series of events in eleven separate lives, which are all in no other way connected to each other. We are also intrigued by the circumstances that brought Xavier to London, who is originally from Australia, which Mark Watson unfolds throughout the story.
I must admit that I thought it might get confusing (or boring) going through eleven different stories, but Watson quite convincingly handles multiple plots with entertaining ease. Being a comedian, I expected a laugh out loud comedy. Although there are funny moments throughout the novel, with insightful commentary on human nature, it is quite a melancholy book. I highly recommend this book. Watson has an easy and captivating writing style. 
He is also absolutely hilarious, so if you haven’t seen any of his stand up, do yourself a favour and look him up!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...