Sunday 7 August 2011

SA trip part 3 ~ The End


My dear brother, yet again, had to deal with our mom and me fretting about getting me to the airport on time. We had first decided that he would try leaving work early and then fetching our other brother, mom and I and then trying to get back to the airport. We of course wanted to all be together when we said our goodbyes. After about 10 phone calls back and forth, we decided that logistically it just wouldn’t work. My mom and I said our goodbyes after she dropped me at my brothers’ office; and we set off to the airport and the extremely early hour of 15:30 for my 20:00 flight. Have I mentioned that my dear brother is a very patient man? We soon discovered that there isn’t that much to do at the airport after you’ve eaten something. After an hour wondering around, I sent the poor man home and went through the security check. After all, it was now about 6pm and I only had an hour to get through before I could board the plane. Or so I thought. At 8pm exactly we were finally allowed to board the plane. But instead of getting straight on board, we had to get on a little transfer bus to take us to the plane. After 2 min of driving the bus stopped but didn’t open. Traffic jam on the tarmac! I held on nervously to my boarding pass for fear of losing it. I kept checking my seat number over and over again. ‘Seat 4 OH. Seat 4 OH’ I thought this was a weird seat number but figured that, since this was a different plane they just numbered them differently. We sat in the little bus for about half an hour before we started moving again.  After a brief 5 meter drive, the bus stopped again and the doors opened. It would have been quicker had we all just walked to the plane. Yet when standing in the queue to board I wished we could get back on the bus; it was a freezing cold winter’s night and I only had a very thin jersey keeping me warm. It was a very long 15 minutes of dancing around in one spot to keep warm. Finally on the plane I walked down the aisle trying to find seat 4 OH. When I got to seat 58 A I admitted defeat and asked an air hostess to help me locate my seat.
“Ah,” she said. “That’s seat 40 H, right in the front.” I sheepishly turned around and had to push against the stream of people going in the right direction; irritating many a passenger along my way. (Not my finest moment, but a very good reason why I shouldn’t be made to do things on my own.)
I’m happy to say that all my on flight entertainment was working! I didn’t sleep a wink on the plane but made up for it when I got home and collapsed on my bed. One of the best sleeps I’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...